HomeForumBlogProduct ReviewsAbout UsStoreGear
Sly Bald Guys Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 05:04:16 PM
Home Help Search Links Login Register
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys! Please take a look around and pay special attention to our community. You won't find a more supportive group of men on the internet.

News: Hey everyone, help spread the word about Sly Bald Guys.  It's easy, all you need to do is click on this link.  It will only take a second.  Thanks for your support!

http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http://www.slybaldguys.com/index.php&title=Sly+Bald+Guys

+  Sly Bald Guys Forum
|-+  Grooming/Care
| |-+  Head Shaving
| | |-+  i love headblade but...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Digg This!StumbleUpon This site
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: i love headblade but...  (Read 1420 times)
Becks87
Sly Guy in Training

« on: April 05, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »

as said in the title i love my headblade ATX but today i ordered a straight razor from amazon.....

then i kind of worried my self....

i imagine its a much better shave but is it very dangerous??? i mean, is it easy to cut my self??
any tips or suggestions??
Sly Bald Guys Forum
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »

Bluebriz
Super Sly

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »

What kind of razor did you order?
Lynchy
Sly Bureau
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:39:58 PM »

Depending on what SR you bought, it mightn't actually be shave ready yet?

Lynchy
Bluebriz
Super Sly

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:54:13 AM »

Lynchy, does Amazon sell proper straight razors or is this more likely to be a shavette type razor?  I know Amazon has shavettes, of varying quality...
buddha
Sly Bureau

Recently ordained Dudeist priest.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 04:04:51 AM »

Kudos to you, brother, for taking this step. Best of luck with the SR.

For me I know that I would get nowhere near as good a shave as with my M5 because I would be scared $h!tless that I would slice my head open to the tune of about 20 stitches. I would apply about zero pressure and end up having to do a re-shave with my stick. Post pics of the first shave.

Again, best of luck.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.
Sir Harry
Bayou Sly
Sly Moderator
Sly Bureau
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 04:11:11 AM »

As a straight razor owner, I think they can give you a decent shave, but your hair must be extremely short for it to be effective. Care is also important as a cut from one of these things.....well, you know,......Good luck!

http://www.facebook.com/sirharry13

Being bald does not guarantee failure....nor does having a full head of hair guarantee success
Sly Bald Guys Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 04:11:11 AM »

Becks87
Sly Guy in Training

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »

thank you for all your reply, this is what i got: Parker SR1!!!

so will it be a risk for me to do it my self?
smoothsailing
Sly

hairfree = carefree

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »

Looks like a shavette. I know I do all my shopping on google. sometimes amazon does not hacve it all and google pulls from all vendors including amazon.
Becks87
Sly Guy in Training

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »

but so smooth sailing,
is this a bad razor???
and are you sure about it being a shavette??  i thought it wasnt :/
Bluebriz
Super Sly

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »

The Parker SR1 is definitely a shavette. The blades for it are half double edge blades.  I had one a year or two back, and although I never used it on my head I was able to get great shaves on my face after a week or two of use.

Check YouTube for videos on shaving with a shavette.  I'm sure other people have head shaved with them.  They need a very light touch!
smoothsailing
Sly

hairfree = carefree

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 10:10:40 PM »

here is a link i found useful about shavette shaving. it's not your razor he uses but it is a shavette i think. either way this guy is very informative and a great watch.

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=gQ2Iuuwg_fI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgQ2Iuuwg_fI
Lynchy
Sly Bureau
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 05:44:05 AM »

Lynchy, does Amazon sell proper straight razors or is this more likely to be a shavette type razor?  I know Amazon has shavettes, of varying quality...

Excellent point, and you were right!

Lynchy
Sly Bald Guys Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 05:44:05 AM »

Lynchy
Sly Bureau
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 05:45:34 AM »

but so smooth sailing,
is this a bad razor???
and are you sure about it being a shavette??  i thought it wasnt :/

Don't fret,

This is an excellent way to start as you don't have to stress about honing/stopping. Just snap a blade in half and off you go.

Good luck

Lynchy
Becks87
Sly Guy in Training

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »

ok thanks, i had watched a few video from this guy already... found him on youtube my self!!!
i think i will go to the barber the first time to see and then might do it my self....
buddha
Sly Bureau

Recently ordained Dudeist priest.

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 07:30:42 AM »

so will it be a risk for me to do it my self?

In some areas it's a risk to go outside and walk the doggie. It's a risk to cross the street. Shaving with a blade like this is a risk as is shaving with a Head Blade or a stick razor (although I think the risk with the SR is more pronounced). But without those willing to take risks where would we be today? Dan Quayle would never have been VP of the US were he not willing to accept the risk that people would find out that as VP he was incapable of winning a 4th grade spelling bee! Did that stop him? Hell NO! He went on and became a great man in spite of his shortcomings.

Sorry about that. I got on a roll and couldn't stop myself. But I'm OK now, I've taken my meds. I feel sleepy, gonna take a napppppppppppppppp

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Send this topic Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Enter your email address: